K. Jane is one early riser. I, on the other hand, am not. She is under this outrageous impression that if the sun is up (or remotely close to being up), then she must to be up too! Why not, Mom? Summer months are the absolute worst because the sun rises at 4:55 am here in Arizona. I hate to admit it but some of my most shameful bad parenting moments have been in these early morning hours.
Over the past few months, Kennedy has finally learned that if she wakes before the sun is out, she better keep to herself. Otherwise, her cranky Mom will ship her right back to bed with threats of timeout in the garage if she comes out before it is light. She usually spends this alone time getting dressed in some random outfit and reading books quietly in her bed.
The other morning she came into our room and informed me that she was ready for breakfast. It was still dark and my alarm clock had yet to go off for my 6:00 am run. Feeling really groggy, I turned to check the time and it was 1:35 in the morning!
When I took her back to her room, I found all the lights on and she had books scattered all over her room. Kennedy is very OCD about having everything in her room put away before she goes to sleep so, I knew she must have taken the books out when she woke up. I have no idea how long she was awake having her little quiet time (thinking it was morning) but she was not too thrilled about going back to bed without breakfast.
Lucky for me, she did go back to sleep and even slept until 8:00. I think we need to work on her telling time skills!
7 comments:
you poor thing. good thing she is really cute
That is so funny! I have decided that it am making blackout curtains for the upcoming sunny months:) No joking.
Annabelle started doing the same thing about a year ago (when she graduated from the crib into a big gilr bed) and I refuse to get up that early for anyone but myself. lol. So we made blackout curtains and that helps for the most part. But I have a friend who blogged about the problem and did this (http://jasonandtori.blogspot.com/2009/06/camera-card.html) and I think I might steal that idea too! Good luck!
We finally put a digital clock with the last 2 digits covered up with paper next to Austin's bed and told him he had to stay in his room until he saw a 6 (lately we've told him 7). It works sometimes, others not so much, but it's just an idea :)
Sheridan has been trying the same thing. Blackout curtains and a nightlight plugged into an automatic timer. We drilled into her that she CANNOT get up until the nightlight turns on (or you can go the other way--can't get up until the nightlight turns off, if you kid will sleep with a nightlight on). It took a few days, but really worked well. Nicci's clock idea worked with Jack.
A friend of mine had the same problem with her twins until she came across a timed night light. She set the time and her kids really did stay in bed until the night light showed a sun. here's a link: http://www.goodnitelite.com/index.php
I hope you find something that works! Being woken up at 1:anything cannot be a good feeling!!!
I know you don't think so, but that is really funny. Hopefully she'll outgrow this little phase! I didn't think that anyone got up earlier than my boys. . . but I think K wins!
Post a Comment