Saturday, March 20, 2010

{L}ong {R}uns


Long Runs. Oh, how I loathe thee right now. Yesterday I ran 8 miles, the furthest I have ever ran in my life. And let me tell you, I got Shalacked. Here's why:

01. I had a head wind on all three hills. They are big hills and hard enough as it is.
02. I let Rex go first. Big mistake. By the time I started, the sun was up and beating down on me.
03. I wore my cute sporty skort (like the tennis players wear). Extreme inner thigh chaffing hit at about mile 4. Lesson learned.
04. My toes were absolutely killing me. When I got home my middle toenail was surrounded by a blister.
05. My iPod Shuffle dug into my skin leaving a red sore.

When I reached mile 7, I ran out of gas and started to cry. I wasn't sure I could finish but I did. Right now I am wondering how in the world I am going to go 5 more miles than I ran today in just 3 short weeks.


I need a cheerleader.
And for the runners out there, I need your words of wisdom!

*Photo found on Rubberball

8 comments:

Mrs. Ordinary said...

Bodyglide. Put it everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Underwear lines, seams where your pants may rub on your thighs, on your toes by the sock seams, sports bra seams, anywhere that might possibly chafe. You'll be glad you did.

You can do it.

Jesse said...

I am so impressed! If you can do 8, you can do three more! Seriously, I'm so impressed.

I don't know how old your shoes are, or how many miles you've clocked on them, but it might be worth the money to invest in new ones. When I started running last year, it was on old shoes. When I got new ones, I couldn't believe the difference it made on my feet, my hips, and my times. There are running stores out there that will actually observe you on a treadmill and recommend specific brands and models for your gate and build. I haven't been, but my sister reports it has made a big difference for her.

And I hate to write another comment as I'm the most unqualified runner on the planet to be giving advice, but I had the same problem with my shuffle. I have had the best success clipping it to my pants in back. I run the earbud cords up the back of my shirt. The shuffle doesn't bug me as much back there, and the cords aren't flapping around in front of me as I run. I've only gone as far as 5 miles however...

Keep at it! (And keep telling us about it, please!)

Michelle Akauola said...

ra ra you can do it ra ra you can do it gooooo natalie and rex. I cant even imagine but i know my little sister and i know that whatever you set your mind to you can do. The mind is a very powerful thing just let it take over and no more cute little mini skirts. love ya and good luck

Papworth's said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! You'll make it! Bless your heart! At least you finished. Sorry you got the sun coming up! We lived in Mesa for a summer one year and I remember running and walking a few times early in the morning, not early enough, and my fingers swelled up like sausages. P.S. You're doing a lot better than I am right now!! Maybe I'll attempt something like that if this baby will ever come!

Kristen Kohler said...

I am still struggling to run more than a mile or two. I am SO impressed!!! Good luck :)

Megan said...

So the first time I ran a half marathon I was talked into it by my roommate mere days before the race. The farthest I ran before that? 8 miles. Seriously. If you can run 8, you can do a half. It is all in your head after 8 miles I think. And way to go for making it that far! The bodyglide is awesome. I have used it during triathlons, but never during running. I have never had chafage. However, I have never dressed cute in a running skirt either. I need some serious help in that department. lol. My problem is blisters on my inner arch. I have gone to the stores that watch you run and bought new running shoes, but to no avail. So I just tough it out and my feet are super ugly because of it. The price we pay I suppose. Any who, way too long of a comment. But to sum it up. You can do it Natalie - just know that you can! And give yourself one friggin huge gold star for coming this far!

Beach_Crew said...

We are cheering you on Natalie! You have come so far!

If it makes you feel better, Saturday did have a hefty headwind (even at 5am when we set out on our run). I agree with earlier commenter. Bodyglide does wonders for chafing. i had a permanent line under my sports bra for about a year until I found bodyglide and it SAVED me! I have no cure for the middle toe blister. I have perma-blister on mine. Doesn't hurt anymore actually. Stick your ipod into your bra. Seriously. Works for me (being less-endowed has its perks every now and then).
We are cheering you on! YOu will do great! I'm always up for a 5am run if you are!

You can do it! Keep going!

Rory, Trina, Katy, and Trey said...

Good Luck. I recently started running again. I miss it when I don't go. Just pace yourself and keep it up. Good luck with the half marathon. Hopefully next year I can run one. Right now I am running a relay race with Cody. If anything, Cody will keep us laughing!