Every fall harvest, my Mom-in-law bottles this delicious soup with the vegetables from her garden. It's great for a quick, healthy meal and we thought it would be the perfect addition to our 3-month food supply (still working on the 3-month part.) So, we spent our Saturday afternoon chopping veggies and learning how to use a pressure canner. It was fun but between the peaches I did on Wednesday and the soup, I am definitely done canning for awhile!
In case you are interested, here is the recipe:
Canned Vegetable Soup
In quart jar add:
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 tsp heaping - beef bullion
dash of garlic salt
1 Tbs heaping pearl barley (not quick)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped celery
Fill jar to just below neck of the bottle with equal parts of chopped potatoes & carrots. Then fill with hot water to first ring level.
Place hot lids and rings on jars. Pressure can 25 minutes at 10 lb. pressure (you may need to adjust for altitude).
To serve: Brown 1/2 pound hamburger (or use leftover roast etc.) Add 1 can tomato soup and water to desired consistency, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes before serving.
For 16 quart size jars we used:
3 large yellow onions
7ish lbs. of carrots
3 stalks of celery
14 large russet potatoes
7 comments:
Wow look at you go. Now you are ready to do some turkey. Looks good I might have to try it this weekend since your taking off to the land of disney with out us.LOL love ya and have fun. Oh and baby girls head is no bigger than an orange. She is just itty bitty
This looks so great. I've become semi-obsessed with canning this year. There is just something about having home made food storage. I haven't ventured into the world of pressure cooking. Next year, perhaps.
BTW- if I can get around to it today, I'm posting some directions about grilled pizza on Delovely today.
AND- You're going to Disneyland?! And you look hot in your jeans?! Some girls have all the fun. :)
you are so fancy. i wish i had time to do fun things like this! (well, only fun with friends!)
So impressive...can't wait to try some! You are my hero!
Thanks for the recipe! Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to take on a project like this :)
If I wasn't so burnt out on canning last week as well I'd try this one out too... maybe in a few days after I catch my breath.... or maybe next year!
Thanks for the good recipe and idea. It might have to go in my 3 month storage too.
Post a Comment