Sunday, March 30, 2008

Rex is Finally Contributing!!!

Hey everyone! (And by “everyone”, I mean hello to the one person who reads our little blog….whoever you are!)

Natalie has asked me to chip in on the blog….that is something I can definitely do as it will mean less time “chipping in” in other areas such as dishes.

This week has really been one of reflection. It started with a sick husband, yours truly, and ended with a nice weekend with a wife and daughter, Natty and Kenny.

On Monday, I called in sick. This isn’t something that usually happens (much to the chagrin of my playful wife who often temps me with stories of wondrous adventures at Disneyland, or even Golf Land-a teenybopper part of Phoenix filled with miniature golf, video games, and teens sharing their awkward adolescent “love” with each other).

So, I called in sick and spent the day making Natalie and Kennedy sick. That night, at about 6 PM, our little trooper was fine. We were getting her ready for bed and she was giving us verbal and non-verbal cues to help us know she was in dire need of a good nights sleep. We put her down, and about 7:30, we heard a pretty wicked cough. We ran in (mostly me because she is my little princess), and she was standing up in her crib. As I went to pull her out of the crib, something came right up out of her mouth.

For the next 2 hrs, she would hurl about every 5-10 min. We ended up putting her in the tub in order to try and contain the mess. She would get so exhausted and just crash right on my arm as I was supporting her. Pretty sad little sight.

Nit got on the phone with our Pediatrician’s on-call nurse and she said that if Kenny spewed one more time, we should get her in to the hospital. Strange comment as the trend line of Kennedy’s hurl data would easily make one bullish on our baby’s barfing.

SO, off to the Primary Children’s Hospital for the “Finding Nemo” ride of emergency rooms. I say “Finding Nemo” because if you have ever ridden (or waited in line for 1.5 hrs to ride) the “Finding Nemo” ride at Disneyland, then you would know that around every corner in that hellish line, is yet another 10 corners.

“Kennedy H*”, the nurse would say with a smile, “come on back.” We would follow in haste, only to be shown to another sitting room, with more people, more sick kids, and booths where they would take our insurance information and tell us cheerfully that it would be another hour before we could see an available doctor.

At midnight, we were taken back to another waiting room cleverly disguised as our hospital room. We laid on the bed for a long while until our doctor came in and explained that our daughter’s intestines were losing a challenging battle of Tetris. He wanted to take x-rays of her little tummy to make sure that her intestines were not literally tide in knots that would cause serious internal damage…..so we said okay.

There was some more waiting, a quick squirt of medicine for KJ….more waiting…and we left about 2 AM.

She made it. We are so happy to have our little girl back. She was just sick that night, and then made a full recovery. Her intestines won the game of Tetris and are functioning properly….and we are very grateful. We are grateful for that little ray of sunshine. We are grateful to sealed together as a little family. We are grateful…and we pray that we may maintain the gratitude so as to elude any further incidents of forced humility.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

Wow! That sounds awful. Poor little girl. And poor parents, too - I hate emergency room waiting.

Keith and Nicci said...

Awww... so sad and so scary for you guys:(. Having sick kids is the absolute worst, especially when they're that sick.

Brittani said...

I really wish you guys were mean enough to make kj sit in her puke so you could take a picture so you could blog about it... that would have made my day!
Just kidding! I hate barfing babies

Jesse said...

How scary for everyone. Hope you are all feeling better!
Great bloggy debut Rex.

Patience said...

We read your blog and we count as two people not 1. That sounds like it was a frightening night! I always tell Chris that when we have kids I will not know what to do when they are sick or when to take them in. You guys are troopers and your little Kennedy follows suit. Thanks for the story Rex.