Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Early Birthday Present

I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact my little V is turning one in two short weeks.
Where did that year go? It's all a little fuzzy. I guess that's what 3 little ones at home will do to ya!

Over the past couple of months, I have been working on a little project to give Violet for her 1st birthday. She has a walk in closet in her nursery. It doesn't have a vent so it's stuffy in the summer and freezing in the winter. The door was always halfway open and it was a unorganized royal mess! We pretty much threw anything and everything baby in it when we moved in last year. I wish I would have taken a before photo. Just imagine it stacked from floor to ceiling with diaper boxes full of baby clothes and sea of baby equipment filling up the floor.

After finding some inspiration from pinterest, I decided to take the door off and make it into a little reading corner for her. My first item of business was cleaning it out. Whew! It took me a week just to go through all the clothes.

I gave myself her birthday as my deadline to finish. But thanks to a visit from Grandma Glenda a week later, we cranked it out.

It turned out just like I imagined!


We painted the walls a lovely yellow/green color called Cypress Grove by Benjamin Moore.
It's hard to see the green tint in the pictures but I promise it's there.



The floor cushion took me forever! But I love the pop of color it adds to the room.



I still needed to use the closet for storage.
Since you would be able to see it from the bedroom, it needed to flow with the rest of the nursery.
 I decided to modge podge fabric on clear totes and make labels using my cricut.



 My favorite part of the space is the capiz shell chandelier.
It was my inspiration for adding the gold polkadots to the walls.


And here is the other side of the closet.
It still needed to function as a place for her clothes and shoes.


One happy little girl!
She loves to crawl in there and run her hand across the sheepskin rug.
And pull all the books off the shelf!





2 comments:

Lindsay G said...

Nat, I love this! The pillow is awesome, love the chandelier and all the details, like how you covered the closet rods too! It's so great to see a project turn out just the way you envisioned it. Do you really only have 3 totes of clothes? I think I have like 6 of just Addy's...yeah, I might need to go purge now.

Megan said...

Frick. I would love that room for me. You are so talented. Could you share some of it...please?